St Edburg’s CE Primary School
“Giving children the wisdom they need to lead their lives”. Ofsted 2014
The Purpose of our Curriculum
We aim to help children to become ‘rounded human beings’ and achieve their very best in everything that they do. We support them on a learning journey by teaching skills in subjects and in exploring social and Christian values. We give them the tools for learning such as perseverance, problem solving, questioning and listening to others. We help build self-esteem and confidence through celebration of their achievements.
We promise to encourage a strong learning culture across the school and we do this by:
- Providing first hand experiences through visits and the use of artefacts
- Relating learning to the real world
- Promoting risk taking in learning by giving opportunities for exploring ideas
- Providing activities that stimulate curiosity and investigation and open up questions
- Involving children in decision making during the learning process
- Use a variety of resources including the outside environment, computer and media based learning.
When we do this our children will:
- Be happy and eager learners!
- Be self motivated to explore further and take risks
- Be aspirational about their own potential and see themselves as successful learners
- Be able to work co-operatively with others, developing skills in communication and responsibility
- Be able to empathise with others
- Be knowledgeable about the World and see themselves as valuable human beings within it.
The Curriculum Map
At St Edburg’s CE school we have adopted a creative approach to planning teaching and learning. We ensure that all children are able to access the programmes of study given in the National Curriculum 2014 but that there is also opportunity to respond to local and national events such as the Olympics or significant anniversaries. Whole school topics give opportunity for everyone to be involved in a learning topic and creates a highly stimulating place to learn and to share learning.
Key Documents to support the curriculum:
Early Years Information Pack (see Early Years page)
Reading, Writing, Maths, RE policies (see policies page)
Curriculum Long Term Overview showing what has to be taught in given year groups (see below)
Assessment Policy (see policies page)