St Edburg's School was first opened in June 1859. The Rev. John Watts, Vicar of St Edburg's, was the Chairman of the Committee to plan and build the school. His name was inscribed on the Foundation Stone which was laid in July 1858. The school was originally housed in what later became the hall. This room was divided into two classrooms separating girls and boys who also had separate playgrounds! The Master lived in the school house. In more modern times the school became Bicester Secondary School. In 1953 the Secondary School moved to the site now occupied by Bicester School and St Edburgs's continued as a Church of England (Aided) Primary School, benefiting from an extension in 1972 and extensive rebuilding that opened in 1994. The school's substantial new extension incorporated the older buildings as well as offering an open ‘shared area’.
An artist’s impression of the original school in a style typical of its day with high, gothic windows and separate entrances for boys and girls.
Over 150 years after the school was first opened, it was agreed that the new school planned for the Kingsmere site should be St Edburg’s School. It took over eight years from that agreement to the opening as the down turn in the housing market caused long delays. However, the great day came in January 2016 when finally, the children and staff began a new chapter in a wonderful new building!
Our school will grow from single form entry to two form entry with a 60 place nursery to complete our Early Years Foundation Stage Unit. In designing the new building the architects considered how to accommodate up to 420 children and yet retain the family feel that was felt in the smaller school. One of the most important features of the new building is a central hub – the ’heart-space’ of the school where all school traffic will pass at some points during the day. There are small ‘break out’ areas outside each cluster of classrooms which also help create the family feel of belonging. The design of the school looks like an angel and is facing out onto the community. We like to think that our school is embracing the community that it serves and is announcing that here is a place where children are valued and loved, and where learning is tangible!